Monday, October 6, 2008

The TRUTH that binds us...

On this journey, I constantly find that so many things tie together. In fact, I might, from time to time, argue that everything in some way or another is tied together by the exact same thing.


I believe this one thing to be God. But as I work in a church, I have found that just saying God can make some people shutter or even be turned off altogether, or sometimes even feel guilty.

I see God as I refer to it from a Christian perspective, that Christ is the only way to God. But I don't see this as exclusive, but inclusive. Let me give you an example:

If there is one word that I would describe God by that word is LOVE. Not a romantic or sexy love, but an unconditional accepting everyone wherever they are, but loving them too much to let them stay that way LOVE.

I believe that God is LOVE ( 1 John 4) and that God, LOVE, is the one TRUTH that has the opportunity to be a part of everyone, everything, and every situation.

Perhaps, when Christians exemplify this LOVE, they are actually sharing God. My friend, Jeff and I were talk earlier today, and we were talking about this idea, and he brought up baptism and said that maybe it has nothing to do with the water at all, but that "to baptize" is really just to surround someone with God; and if God is LOVE, then when Jesus calls the church to "...go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." (Matthew 28:19) Perhaps what he was really saying was, leave your comfort area, and make followers of Christ (Luke 9:23), surrounding them with LOVE, which is the ultimate TRUTH, a.k.a: God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit

Jeff and I looked at each other and both at the same time said: " What if it really is intended to be that simple?"

But that question is for another post...

0 comments: